Whenever I am a little under the weather, I crave for some comfort food. This is one such recipe. It’s a minimalist and subtle curry that is really simple to make but tastes divine.
Curd – 1 cup
Onion – 1 big
Green chilli – 1
Curry leaves – few
Salt to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard – 2 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Asafoetida – a pinch
- Finely chop the onion and green chilli.
- Heat oil in a pan. Once hot, add the mustard, urad dal and asafoetida. Once the mustard crackles, add the chopped green chilli and curry leaves and give a brief stir. Then, add the onions and salt.
- Saute the onions until they are soft and a light golden in color. Don’t let them brown. Switch off the flame and let it cool.
- Take the curd/yogurt in a bowl and give a little whisk with a spoon. Then add the cooled onions and mix.
Serve this bowl of awesomeness with crisp dosas or soft idlis.
- Add the onions to the yogurt only after they are cooled. Adding them hot might curdle the curd and change the texture.
- Don’t beat the curd, let it be in its natural state.