Koottu is a mildly flavored vegetable curry made predominantly in Tamilnadu with vegetables that have lots of water content in them like gourds, cucumber or cabbage. It is basically vegetable cooked with dal and coconut. But today I am doing a non-coconut version which is true to the vegetable and very flavorful. I have used bottle gourd, but any other green vegetable can be used.
Bottle gourd – 1 big piece
Moong dal – 1/3 cup
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard – 2 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Cumin – 2 tsp
Dry red chillies – 2 broken
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Onion vadagam – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
- Wash the moong dal. In a heavy bottomed pan, add the moong dal, just enough water and bring it to a boil. Put the flame in medium and cook.
- Peel, scoop and chop the bottle gourd into small pieces.
- Once the dal is half cooked, add the chopped vegetable, mix and cook covered for 5 mins. Add little water if required.
- Once the vegetable is little soft, add turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and cook covered until done.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard and once it crackles, add the urad dal, onion vadagam. Once the vadagam turns dark brown, add the cumin, broken red chillies, asafoetida and curry leaves. Give a brief stir and add it to the koottu.
- Mix and serve with plain rice. Would be a great accompaniment to a spicy curry like Puli Kulambu.
- I have used moong dal in this recipe. Even Toor dal and channa dal can be used.
- As I have informed earlier, this can be made with other vegetables like snake gourd, cabbage, chow-chow, etc.
- Vengaya vadagam gives a really great flavor. Try not to skip it.