I simply love this Herb Rice. Very simple and quick to make recipe packed with pleasant flavor. To make it a bit healthy, I use Olive oil while cooking. But I add a little dollop of butter to the oil and when you taste the rice, the butter mildly cuts right at the end and it simply tastes heavenly. I have used dried herbs in this recipe because that is what is readily available at my home. You can use fresh herbs too.
Rice – 1 cup ( (Basmati or any long grained rice)
Water – 2 cups
Garlic – 1 clove, finely chopped
Chilli flakes – 1 tsp
Oregano – 1/2 tsp
Thyme – 1 tsp
Rosemary – 1 tsp
Olive oil – 2 tbsp
Butter – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
- Wash & soak the rice for minimum 30 mins. I normally soak it for about an hour. This gives me longer grains.
- Heat oil and butter in a heavy-bottomed pan. Once hot, add the garlic. Don’t let the garlic burn. Quickly add the chilli flakes and the dried herbs.
- Give a quick stir. Drain the water from the rice and add it to the pan. Saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add the 2 cups of water, salt and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the flame to low and cook covered for 8-10 mins. After switching off the flame, let it rest for about 5 mins before opening the lid. Fluff the rice with a fork and super tasty Herb rice is done.
- Serve it with any curry or gravy and vegetables. I served it with Grilled Paneer, Caramelized onions, Glazed carrots and steamed beans and it was just awesomeness on a plate.
- I have used a combination of herbs since I like the flavor. You can use just one herb too.
- Water can be substituted with vegetable stock or chicken stock and it adds more flavor to the dish.