This is one of those recipes that is true to the vegetable. All you taste is the potato, more like the Indian mashed potato :). It is very subtle and all the ingredients added are only there to compliment the potato and not overpower it. We often make this at home and serve it as a side dish with rice and some spicy curry.
Potato – 500 gms
Onions – 2 big ones
Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup
Green chilli – 1
Salt to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard – 2 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
- Wash the potatoes and pressure cook them until done. Take care not to overcook them, mushy potatoes don’t taste great for this recipe. Once cooked, cool and peel them.
- Finely chop the onions and green chilli. Crumble the potatoes with hand. It should be soft and crumbly and not sticky.
- Heat oil in a pan. Once hot, add the mustard, urad dal, green chilli and curry leaves. Give a stir and add the onions.
- Saute till the onions are soft and transparent. Add the potatoes, salt and saute for about 4-5 mins.
- Add the grated coconut, give a mix and cook for another 3-4 mins. The simplest yet flavorful potato recipe is done.
- Serve hot. I served it with rice and bitter gourd curry.