This is a lip-smacking curry I learned from a Bihari neighbor of ours. She used to cook amazingly soft rotis and delicious curries in her sweet little kitchen. She was sweet too. Let’s dig into the recipe.
Paneer/Cottage cheese – 250 gms
Onions – 2 medium ones
Tomato – 1 big
Milk – 1/2 cup
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Cumin – 1 tsp
Bay leaf – 1
Spices to be ground:
Cumin – 2 tsp
Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
Green chilli – 1
Dry red chillies- 2
Pepper – 1/2 tsp
Garlic – 4-5 cloves
Grind the above spices with little milk to a fine paste.
- Finely chop the onions and tomatoes. And cut the paneer into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin and the bay leaf. Once they sizzle, add the onions and saute until transparent.
- Add the tomatoes and saute until they are soft.
- Add the ground paste, milk and salt. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes until the raw smell of the masala disappears.
- Add the garam masala powder, paneer and finely chopped coriander leaves and simmer for 2-3 mins.
- Serve with your favorite roti or paratha.