Beetroot is one of the vegetables I don’t like very much. No matter how I cook it, it would taste sweet and bland. But one fine day, out of the blue, I tried this recipe and the beets ended up having a nice garlicky coconutty flavor and even I liked it. Very simple to make and given beetroots are high are the health quotient, do give it a try.
Beetroot – 500gms
Grated coconut – 1/3 cup
Dry red chilli – 2
Garlic pods – 2-3
Salt to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – a pinch
Broken dry red chilli – 1
Curry leaves – few
- Wash, peel the beetroots and cut them into small cubes.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add the mustard seeds, urad dal, asafoetida, broken red chilli and curry leaves. Give a quick stir and add the beetroots.
- Saute for about 5 mins. Add salt and cook covered. Sprinkle water if it gets dry.
- Grind the coconut, 2 dry red chillies and garlic pods without adding water.
- Once the beetroots are 3/4th cooked, add the ground coconut mixture. Stir well and cook till the beetroots are cooked through.
- Beetroot poriyal is done. Serve it with white rice, rasam or sambar and it would taste awesome.