I must say this is the best-looking dish I have put up so far. Just the look of it cries simplicity yet delicious simplicity. I liked having it just by itself, it’s subtle and sophisticated and my personal favorite.
Basmati or any long grained rice – 1 cup
Peas – 3/4th cup
Water – 2 cups
Olive oil – 1 tbsp
Green chilli sliced – 1
Bay leaf – 1
Star anise – 2
Allspice powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
- Wash the rice and soak it for at least half an hour. The longer you soak the longer the grains. I normally soak it for about an hour.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pot. Add the bay leaf, star anise and green chilli.
- Toss for about 20-30 seconds, add the soaked rice, allspice powder and stir for about 2 mins.
- Add the peas, saute for a minute. Add 2 cups of water and salt. Bring it to a boil.
- Once the water starts boiling, put the flame to low and cook covered for 10 mins.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve. I served it with roasted cauliflower.
- Allspice powder gives a subtle, pleasant flavor. But in the absence of it, substitute it with 1/4tsp of garam masala.